A veterinary practice management system is like customer relationship management (CRM) software, but with medical features in addition to basic ones. Take these essential features into account to develop the better management system for veterinary practice.
Managing a veterinarian clinic is as challenging as managing any hospital. The only difference is the patients are animals. Transferring control of essential vet clinic processes to veterinary management software is the path to better efficiency, enhanced customer service and attentive pet care. This article explains the benefits of veterinary software and its main features.
- What is a Veterinary Practice Management System?
- Key Benefits of Veterinary Practice Management Software
- Essential Features for a Veterinary Practice Management System
What is a Veterinary Practice Management System?
A veterinary practice management system is like customer relationship management (CRM) software, but with medical features in addition to basic ones.
It can be an application for the web or for mobile devices, but is most often available for both, and it allows vet clinic staff to manage the animals that are their patients as well as the pet owners that are their customers. Vets and their staff work with pets and owners at the same time, managing all the information from both with the help of efficient veterinary practice management software.
Key Benefits of Veterinary Practice Management Software
A veterinary clinic management system promises the following advantages:
- Simplifying processes. Veterinary practice management isn’t easy. It involves business and treatment tasks such as attracting and retaining customers and keeping track of inventory including medicine. All this can be done with the help of vet clinic software, and it also helps eliminate errors.
- Increasing productivity. Having vet software programs at their fingertips, the doctors can pay more attention to treating pets, instead of dealing with managerial issues. Plus, they can get instant access to the pet’s medical history and suggest the right treatment without having to review paper files.
- Communicating with clients. Since a veterinary practice management program is like CRM software, it can also be used for communication with customers including sending notifications of upcoming vaccinations or regular pet health checks and launching marketing campaigns.
- Centralizing data storage. Vet practice management software provides the opportunity to store both information about pets and their owners including the animal’s medical history and contact and other info of the owner. The software provides more convenience and safety compared to using paper files. Plus, vet clinics that use vet software can also benefit from the insights gained from data analysis in their veterinary business management, growth and development. It also allows for reduced paperwork and paper waste which is one more benefit of using veterinary practice management software.
Essential Features for a Veterinary Practice Management System
Veterinary software systems come with different value-added features. Below is a list of basic and advanced veterinary practice software features.
- Treatment plans. A well-documented treatment plan is insightful for doctors and pet owners because it allows doctors to create clear treatment strategies and document progress, and pet owners can gain a better understanding of how their pets are being treated and what they are paying for.
- Subjective, Objective, Assessment and Plan (SOAP) notes. Since SOAP notes are one of the most important medical documents, creating and storing them in a single veterinary computer software system makes sense so that they will be safely stored and easily accessed.
- Lab integrations. This feature allows for instant lab test result delivery to the pet’s profile so that the doctor can immediately view them and adjust a treatment plan if needed.
- Client management. This is an essential feature of any CRM, and in the case of veterinary software programs it can be used to store personal and contact data of clients.
- Built-in reminders. The best veterinary software provides the opportunity to customize reminders and get personalized notifications such as when a lab test result is ready.
- Custom form templates. With the help of templates, doctors can deal with routine work faster and improve productivity. For example, a pet clinic management system may contain a prescription or invoice template.
- Electronic medical records (EMRs). This is a core feature of vet management software since it provides doctors with a complete picture of a pet’s health, positive and negative changes, treatment history, and other information necessary to make well-informed decisions.
- Automatic appointment scheduling. Being guided by the information from an EMR, a veterinary hospital management system can suggest scheduling an appointment, vaccination or annual health check.
- Automatic invoicing. This is an advanced feature which streamlines veterinary practice management and helps to avoid overpayment or underpayment.
- Credit card processing. This feature will appeal to today’s pet owners who prefer paying with a debit/credit card or mobile wallet, and it facilitates the accounting and reporting process, eliminating the need to deal with cash.
- Email, voice and text messaging. With the help of this feature, the vet clinic staff can get in touch with the pet owner in case of an emergency. This feature may also be used as a part of an email or instant messenger marketing campaign.
- Advanced reporting. The best veterinary practice management software also provides the opportunity to get advanced reports and provide insights which can be used for vet practice management improvement and business growth.
A veterinary management system is an effective tool for improving the level of a pet’s healthcare, delivering better customer service and streamlining most of the associated tasks. Using such a system in your veterinary management provides a veterinarian with the opportunity to create a cutting-edge advantage for patients, owners and employees. Get in touch with us to learn more benefits of vet software for your practice and gain insights into how it is developed and implemented!