Laboratories in all industries have used technology in recent years to reduce costs and improve operations. The pandemic accelerated the demand for fast and accurate testing, and it is one of the reasons for fast-growing LIMS software solutions. Deploying LIMS in the cloud is the next big step for this technology to ensure cost reduction and reliability.
This article will outline the benefits of deploying LIMS software in the cloud and critical things you need to consider when moving to the cloud. Cprime Studios develops LIMS applications and ensures accurate data migration for enterprises planning to move their LIMS solutions to the cloud. Our experts will share their expertise on the topic in this article.
- What is a LIMS System
- The Benefits of LIMS Cloud Solutions
- What to Consider Before Moving LIMS to the Cloud
- The Best LIMS Software Solutions
- Final Thoughts
What is a LIMS System?
What is LIMS? LIMS stands for a Laboratory Information Management System that ensures proper research, security and processing speed. This solution helps to organize tests, procedures and workflow. In the next five years, the LIMS market is expected to reach $2.2 billion. The pandemic became a stressful environment for the rapid growth of LIMS technologies in the healthcare industry.
LIMS software is critical for implementing laboratory innovations as it ensures accurate analysis of big data. It became almost impossible to manage labs without advanced technical solutions because of all the information that has to be processed.
There is some confusion about on-premise LIMS solutions. For instance, some people wonder if it is time-consuming and costly to implement. That is why laboratories are interested in other ways to deploy LIMS systems, and cloud solutions can be beneficial for launching computer laboratory management software.
The Benefits of LIMS Cloud Solutions
The customer’s decision on whether to deploy software in the cloud or on their premises is influenced by different factors. The most important ones are cost, security and speed of operations. For a clinical lab, software security is the biggest priority.
What is an LIMS system cloud solution? Deploying LIMS software in the cloud is also known as Software as a Service (SaaS) model and it has many benefits compared to on-premise-based solutions which we will discuss later in this article. Using any of the solutions depends on the needs of the business and its goals.
Pros of LIMS cloud solutions:
- Reduction of cost. The cost of SaaS LIMS is much less than deploying your software on premises. There is no license cost, and only some installation fees and a monthly subscription fee which depends on a list of factors, such as the number of users, the features you need, and the amount of data you are going to store. With a LIMS cloud solution, you will have a subscription-based model and will pay only for services you need and use. A LIMS cloud solution also does not require in-house servers or databanks, and it offers a significant cost reduction for the lab.
- 24/7 data access. Another benefit for a business is being able to access the data from the LIMS anywhere and at any time. All you need is an internet connection. You don't need to be physically on-site to access the database, making your work with the LIMS more flexible. Also, it is easy to add new features, users and services with a few clicks. SaaS agility makes businesses more competitive in the market.
- High level of security. One of the critical reasons to switch your LIMS to the cloud is advanced security measures for data protection. Cyber-criminals have become more advanced in hacking systems, so for on-premise-based software you need to have a specialist analyze all possible new threats and update the software for advanced protection. With cloud-based LIMS, all advanced protection functions and applications will be included in your monthly fee. You don't need to think about security with LIMS cloud hosting platforms.
- Automated updates. Another reason to switch LIMS software to the cloud is to get automatic updates and eliminate human errors. With SaaS LIMS, you get all the necessary security or software updates in real time. It means that your IT team can spend more time on other strategic laboratory initiatives instead of updating the system. Process automation also eliminates human errors and increases the reliability of the system.
- Backup solutions. A LIMS cloud solution also ensures that the laboratory will get advanced backups and disaster recovery plans. This data protection will not require a substantial financial investment, and you get this feature with a subscription plan. It makes backup tools affordable for any type of business.
What to Consider Before Moving LIMS to the Cloud
After making the decision to move LIMS software to the cloud, a company also needs to pay attention to the list of issues related to cloud migration. These are the most important things to consider:
- Hosting variants. The laboratory can choose a private cloud hosted within your facility or in a public cloud (SaaS LIMS). It helps if you analyze all the options and your business needs. For instance, private clouds can have a lot of valuable features, but reduced security levels sometimes.
- System integration. The lab needs to ensure that the LIMS cloud will integrate and cooperate with other tools they use for research.
- Trial period. It can be critical for the business to try all the options that cloud solutions can provide to meet business needs before they make a decision on what subscription plan they want to sign up for.
- Service Level Agreement. This document includes all the details of the provider's guarantees for the software, such as security protocols, response time and software updates. It is a critical document for the lab.
The Best LIMS Software Solutions
A range of advanced software solutions can benefit laboratory management software and provide high-quality performance, but you need to define a business goal first and then choose the solution that will help you achieve this goal.
The best LIMS software products for 2022 are:
- LabWare LIMS, which was one of the first to provide software for laboratories. LIMS LabWare works both with on-premise and cloud solutions.
- CloudLims is known as one of the most cost-effective software products in the market.
- Thermo Scientific is ideal for automation and workflow management processes.
- LabCollector was the first company to provide a browser-based interface at an affordable cost.
- Blaze LIMS is one of the best clinical lab software solutions, and it can be easily customized to fit business needs.
A LIMS cloud solution is the next step in developing software for laboratories. It provides a high level of security, automation and reliability. There are several things to consider before moving to the cloud. Cprime Studios ensures quality LIMS software development for different types of laboratories and also has broad expertise in data migration to the cloud. If you need to discuss your case with our specialists, do not hesitate and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.